Friday, April 2, 2010

These Things

The Body Mass Index must be a joke right? From recent research I have found that depending on the source, the body mass index and its measurements and increments change from one chart to another. In my opinion it is a big load of crap. However, I'm sure like many, I have found myself looking at this chart. It is always a kick in the pants because a freaking chart determines what "universal" size you are. Mind you, these charts hardly take into consideration body fat percentage, age, gender, and body type. Shame.

The journey of weight loss is an interesting one. I have found that it is nothing more than changing bad habits into good ones. Many of the feelings and thoughts I have felt in this process are many of the same thoughts and emotions I have felt at different times in my life when I change something about myself that is not working. This case was a little different because my body was working just fine. In fact, I was completely content and confident in myself but I decided to give this whole "dieting" thing a try. The effort has paid off. It has been work but then again there has also been a lot of change, which is ALWAYS and issue for me. But if I am being honest, I feel better. I am grateful that I put so much time and effort into this and the way I feel about body image and food and spirit and everything in the between has changed dramatically.

Aren't we so blessed to have bodies? I will for sure be taking care of mine as best as I can from now on.

No comments: