Monday, November 16, 2009

You're Outta Sight, Keep Me Up At Night

Oh I have fallen into the trap of an abusive relationship. My roommate Emily and I have done some extensive research and have come to the conclusion that we are certainly in an abusive relationship. We came upon a website and read the “Signs of an Abusive Relationship.” Here is a list of the signs that corresponds with our situation:

1. Partner is possessive of you. (“I don’t like it when other people talk to you.” –Emily Hale)

2. Isolation from outside friendships. (“Why is it that I only like to hang out with you?” –Eva Padilla)

3. Has a history of bad relationships. (Um… HELLO!)

4. Partner witnessed an abusive parental relationship. (“We’ve got Daddy issues.” –Emily Hale)

5. Your partner “RAGES” (Q: How does Eva handle conflict? A: Her blood boils, she rages, and then is ready to talk about it.)

6. Trouble leaving the relationship. (FRIENDS FOREVER!)

7. Partner constantly keeps track of your time. (What are you doing? Where have you been? What are you doing?)

8. Discourages you from attending work or school. (“Don’t go to class. Let’s go to CafĂ© Rio!” –Emily Hale)

9. Displaying weapons and threatening their use. (Do both of us own a knife… yes!)

10. Making your partner afraid by using looks, actions, and gestures. (I have a stink eye and do weird things in my sleep; this scares Emily.)

11.Making physical threats. (Daily.)

12. Calling your partner names like stupid. (“You’re so pretty!” –Eva “You’re STOOPID” – Emily)(“You’re so pretty!”- Emily “Shut up you’re being STOOPID.” –Eva)

13. Playing mind games. (Magical thinking. WHAT!)

14. Interrogating your partner. (Refer to #7)

15.“Checking up” on your partner’s activities and whereabouts. (“When are you going to be home?”-Emily Hale)(“Where the Hale are you?” –Eva)

16. Demanding your partner remains home when you are not with them. (Story of our lives.)

17. Acting like “master of the castle.” (“I always get what I want, or I just change my mind.” –Eva)

Oh sweet mercy! This could be a problem, but we don’t think it is. That’s fine.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is the greatest blog entry in the entire world. Why can't I quit you?

Bailey said...

I would have to agree with Winston on this one. You two (...or three now) crack me up! I would assist in finding you guys some help for your "abusive" relationship-but I say "if it's not broken, don't fix it." I love you and can't wait to see you THIS week!

Eva Padilla said...

Bailey, I like the way you think. You're on top of it! I can't wait to see you FOUR days! What?! Yeah baby girl! I love you!